Last time I was in Boston, I barely made it out due to the ridiculous amount of snow. I twitch just thinking about it. This time (and by this time I mean almost a month ago, woops), Boston redeemed itself for my return, ha. It was gorgeous. Best part, I got to spend a whole weekend with some of my best girls, no type of weather could have ruined that.
Come, walk with me through the Boston Common and the Boston Public Garden.
This last shot is not in the gardens, but I like the shot so here it is.
It’s the day after labor day. Yes, it feels terrible, but it’s not the end of the world. I saw people wearing boots and scarves today. GET IT TOGETHER, PEOPLE.
It’s still 90 degrees out. The sun is still shinning. Just because football officially starts this Thursday it doesn’t mean we have to bury summer away in its entirety. It’s not like all of the sudden we need to rock out pumpkin spice lattes (I’m speaking to you, Starbucks) and bring out the Christmas decorations.
I think summer should be enjoyed until you have squeezed every single drop of joy out of it and you’ve faced the inevitable sadness that is winter. Let’s be real, fall is just here to make the pain a little easier. Winter is coming.
*Photo blissfully taken at Morgan’s Pier this summer by yours truly*
Summer is finally here. Wait, let me say that one more time because that just felt too good. Summer is finally here. After a long, long winter in the northeast coast, I now dare say we’re pretty much out of the woods.
Right now there’s a lot of wheels in motion and I’m excited for what’s coming up next for me. I don’t want to say I’ve been slacking with posts (since I am trying not to be too hard on myself) but I do want to get back to the swing of things. Again, there’s a lot going on, so bear with me.
Below are some things that have been on my mind recently. I can’t always follow my own advice properly, but maybe this can help someone else out.
- Everyone has a struggle – Whether they share it or not, everyone has something they’re fighting for or against. You may not be aware of it, but it’s so important to keep that in mind when you are meeting new people or even catching up with old friends and colleagues. Be mindful, but don’t worry too much on being a mind reader, people will share what they want to share and you need to be ok with that.
- Don’t be so quick to judge – I catch myself judging people way too often, I hate it. I’ll think things like “they are not doing anything with their lives” or “what are they thinking, that’s ridiculous” and honestly, I want to reduce those thoughts to the bare minimum. Come on, you know you have to indulge in at least some gossip to keep things fun. Still, at the end of the day, you will never know someone’s whole story so be kind when need be.
- You are your best advocate – Seriously, nobody is actually capable of fighting for you as much as YOU. Support is always great and hopefully something you have in your life, but at the end of the day, you are the only one that knows what you truly want. It’s a decision you need to make for yourself, nobody should tell you: “this is what YOU want”.
- Be grateful – So simple, right? Yet this little one always seems to slip by. You may think your life is a mess and that it’s all in shambles, but I am hoping you have at least one thing to be grateful for (just think about cheese if you’re running out of ideas).
- Don’t make excuses for fear – At times, we will walk away from things we want simply because of excuses we make ourselves. Why do we do that? Excuses are usually rooted on some sort of fear (says me, humble non-expert). It’s ok to feel fear when you’re working towards something big, it’s normal, no need to make excuses for it. Beware, don’t let fear make you want to create more excuses, those excuses will later turn into reasons to walk away from what you want.
Life is fun, it can be a mess at times (just see my room right now for quick reminder) but it’s always good at the end. Take a moment to think about what’s brewing on your life and keep the wheels turning.
Oh and please, PLEASE enjoy summer! * Insert peace sign emoji here *
– Photo and edits by Cristina Nogueras © –
I miss you. I miss the warm rays of your sun that never quite tanned my skin. I miss the warm breeze that caressed my face, as opposed to feeling like small knives are puncturing my lovely cheeks.
Where are you, Summer? Why do we have to be apart for so long? I’m sorry if I ever said I was tired of you, it was my empty bank account speaking or you maybe caught me sweating at the Subway, it wasn’t the real me. The real me loves you with a never ending passion and I anxiously await your return.
You see, Summer. When you’re away, everything is a little colder, a little gloomier. People are not as cheerful as they are around you. It’s only ok because I know they are all secretly missing you too.
Summer, remember when I used to be with you all through the year? Back in the day only a few rainy days could keep us apart. Why did I move away from you? A few months a year are not enough for all the love I have for you. I don’t think humans are meant to be apart from you for too long.
I can’t wait to be reunited with you and get sand in every corner of my apartment, even after you think you have cleaned it all. I can almost taste the fried coconut shrimp I will be enjoying by the sea or the Miami Vice I will be sipping by the live band outdoors. Yes, outdoors. I know my bank account cringes when she knows you’re approaching, but my heart leaps with joy.
My dearest Summer, we can’t be reunited soon enough. Until then, I will try my hardest not freeze in this dark, murky winter and I will look at countless summer pictures to get me through this endless wait.
This has been my mantra for this past month. Not only is my big Europe trip right around the corner, but I got a new job and started a new professional journey (basically the reason why I have abandoned this blog for a few weeks) but cry no more, I’m back! (Only to leave in a week, but still!)
I also went home to my beautiful Puerto Rico and got to spend some wonderful days with my family and friends. It was really the perfect way to end a great chapter in my life and freshen up to start a new one. So really, I can’t complain. Sure, I’m peeling from the sun even though I am still technically white and sure, my bank account has taken a hit, but I’m sure I’ll live.
I try to stay away from all things cheesy (except when they actually are cheesy, yum.) but lately I’ve just been feeling like I have so much to take in from life (besides new work information, of course). Sure, I stress about things all the time, that’s just how I work. Who knows? This may be the nice weather talking, but life is good right now. Long gone are the days of miserable weather complaints and in are the sunny, sweaty walks to work. Ah, sweaty summer bliss.
But back to being corny,
Life is crazy, unpredictable and if you let it be, it can also be beautiful.
Speaking of beautiful, below are some pictures from La Isla del Encanto that I took during my last visit home (yes, I get to call paradise home). I always love giving out recommendations for travelers that wish to visit Puerto Rico, so feel free to shoot me a comment or tweet me any questions!
Yes, me and my boyfriend might have started a cheesy tradition of taking travel pictures with our feet #noshame – This was before our kayak tour at the bioluminescent bay in Fajardo. Tour started during the day, through the canals and into the bay to watch the sunset. Then, I was once again amazed by the beauty that is the bay’s natural glow. Third time doing it and it’s still worth the sore muscles!
It wouldn’t be complete without a food picture, wouldn’t it? For my boyfriend’s birthday I took him to a delicious restaurant in Dorado called El Ladrillo (The Brick) – I had been there when I was little and fine cuisine for me consisted of plain rice and chicken, coming back was absolutely amazing. Not only is the food really good and varied for all tastes, but the restaurant itself is beautiful. They have a true art collection within the space.
Be sure to follow my Instagram for more pictures that don’t make it to actual posts – @peaceloveanddietcoke
Main image credit – http://www.etmusiquepourtous.com/2012/11/07/16191/jpeg/
All other pictures taken by Cristina Nogueras © Do not copy or repost without attribution
Still in vacation over here. Enjoying some time in my beautiful Puerto Rico, can’t really complain.
2014 is right around the corner, but right now I’m enjoying the “now”.
So basically, been busy with family and tropical adventures but I shall be back in the tundra that is New York and face reality. 2013 has been pretty sweet, so some stories are in store.
Cheers everyone, Happy Holidays! (At least in Puerto Rico it’s still the Holidays)