Some people spend their money on shoes, I spend mine on food. The way I see it, we are all on a journey of food discovery, anxiously waiting for that next bite that will blow our minds and warm our souls. I believe that good food can be found anywhere, from your funky food truck to the new trendy restaurant in town.
Still, from time to time, you want to treat yourself and indulge in a freaking good dinner. I totally hear you if you think that fancy restaurants can be intimidating. Here are 5 tips from yours truly to help you enjoy your dining experience to the max!
(1) If you are going to be bad, do it well – Make sure that wherever you are heading is worth it. Nothing sucks more than dropping down the money for food that does not quite live up to its price. If you are treating yourself, do your research, and make sure that people rave about the food and the experience. Otherwise, the joke’s on you.
(2) Check out the menu before arrival – This is your opportunity to google all the ingredients you don’t know, without gluing your face to your phone while at the table. You will also feel smarter when you read things you can actually understand. It’s ok to be freaked out by the word “sunchoke” in your pasta option. Hey, you learn something new everyday.
(3) Dress up, but dress comfortably – Last thing you want to do is be distracted because your fancy dress keeps creeping up or your tights got stuck somewhere else. You obviously want to look good, but you want to feel good too. Comfort gives you confidence and confidence is that “je ne sais quoi” that makes you look right on point.
(4) Take your time – Whether you are paying for dinner yourself or being treated by someone else, money is being spent. Take the time to indulge and enjoy every single bite. Seriously, take in all of the experience. Don’t let anyone rush you into being done, this is about you.
(5) If you act like you belong, you will belong – You will only look as uncomfortable as you feel. This is when the phrase “fake it until you make it” comes in handy. At the end of the day, a restaurant is a restaurant and you are there to exchange your money for an awesome culinary experience. It’s business.
You want to treat yourself to a nice dinner? You go ahead and do that. Focus on the food and you are good to go. Don’t forget to snap your picture carefully, you want to get a good shot but you also don’t want to be that person. 🙂